Sunday, June 26, 2011

Things you do in Austin

As a semi tourist in Austin, here are some things I have observed

Temperature - it's hot here, no doubt about it. Last week, every day was more than 100 degrees. But this is just an excuse to have lots of water activities. This weekend Dell organized a boat cruise to all the interns in Lake Austin. Two hours of sailing along the lake, watching the beautiful houses on the side of the lake. After that some of us went to Barton Springs. The pool is fed from under ground springs and is on average 68 degrees year round. Jumping to that pool was exactly what you need after a few hours in the sun. On Saturday, a couple of us went to another boat cruise. This time it was in Lake Travis. 4 hours on a party barge. The lake is beautiful but unfortunately like other water resources around the world, it's water level is decreasing.

Alamo Draft house - after two time that I have been there, I can say it's the best way to watch a movie. You can order food and beer before and during the movie, there are some cool independent short movies / animations before the screening and it's only $7.

Driving - Yes, I was used to driving back in Israel, but not to this extent. I can't seem to get anywhere without a car. Next to all the big Texan trucks, our small 1995 Toyota Camry ( with 250,000 Miles) does not look all that fancy. But hey, it drives and if it lasts till December I will be fine.


Tacos - Seems that every hour of the day you can get here tacos. Beef, fish, breakfast, vegetarian etc. Too bad I need to always be careful it may be too spicy for me.

Tattoos - I don't know what's the deal on this one. It doesn't look that different from some ancient tribal life. Everybody here has a least one. There are dozens of tattoos stores. I used to think those are a sign of some individualism but if everyone has one maybe it's a way for some people to belong. Maybe I should get an LGO tattoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment